CHALLENGES AND INVERVENTION OBJECTIVES
TOUREST will support the development and proliferation of sustainable tourism policies & practices to increase water efficiency in ADRION coastal areas, seeking to: a) minimise the negative impacts of tourism activities on natural heritage, and b) protect increasingly scarce water resources. These focal interventions points will directly contribute to the implementation of the 4th EUSAIR pillar.
ΜΑΙΝ TARGET GROUPS
Territorial public authorities & bodies responsible for policies on water efficiency, environment, and tourism
SMEs & enterprises in the tourism sector
Key stakeholders, such as water infrastructure providers, business support organisations, and environmental agencies.
OVERALL APPROACH AND MAIN OUTPUTS
TOUREST partners will employ a comprehensive and integrated studying, testing, and transferability approach, rooted in transnational cooperation, involving all aforementioned target groups and stakeholders. Its main outputs are:
- A joint ADRION area strategy and resources for public authorities to monitor & assess sustainable tourism water management (O.T1.1)
- Demonstration of water use monitoring and assessment impact on increasing the sustainability level of the tourism sector (O.T2.1)
- Action plans (x6) for public authorities and tourism stakeholders of the partners’ areas (O.T3.1)
To this end, TOUREST will produce the following main deliverables:
- Studies and policy recommendations for public authorities to support the integration of sustainable tourism water management measures, and for tourism enterprises to adopt best management practices in day to day operations (supporting O.T1.1, O.T3.1).
- Water sustainability indicators & evaluation criteria to measure tourism sector performance on water efficiency (supporting O.T1.1)
- An innovative digital tool for SMEs & enterprises to monitor, compare, and self-assess water efficiency performance & efforts, and for public authorities to assess the overall territorial situation (supporting OT2.1)
- Capacity building resources and policy workshops on sustainable tourism water management (supporting O.T3.1)